Of course you are. No one enjoys the hassle of having a house to sell on their hands once they’ve found somewhere else to live.
When it comes to selling their home, however, most people are their own worst enemy. Sellers often find it difficult, if not impossible, to keep from offering personal opinions or information that they think makes them appear credible to the buyer. Without even realizing it, homeowners try too hard to impress buyers and end up putting their foot in their mouth by the end of the viewing.
Here are 10 things you should avoid telling potential buyers:
1. Exactly why you're selling. Many people have phobias about moving into homes where someone has recently died. Others may be having marital problems of their own and may be scared away by the fact that you’ve recently undergone a messy divorce. Keep things general.
2. How quiet the neighborhood is. The potential buyers may want a more social atmosphere than you desire, and look forward to making new friends. Younger couples, especially, tend to fall into this category.
3. Alternatively, how noisy the neighborhood is. The screaming baby next door or the neighbor’s barking beagle are not selling points!
4. How many kids are in the area. Even if the buyer has children of their own, you have no way of knowing whether or not they want gangs of them hanging around their front door. Not all parents appreciate kids whirling around the neighborhood on skates, riding bikes across their front lawns or decorating the sidewalks with colored chalk.
5. How great your local church is. Not everyone is the same faith, or even religion. Respect others’ beliefs.
6. How ‘new’ the home appliances are. New is most definitely a relative term. What you consider 'new' may be old to others. After living in your house for 20 years, your two year-old washing machine will most likely still be 'new' to you. A buyer, however, may have different thoughts. He or she may not consider anything new that has been in place for over six months.
7. Information on existing warranties. They may expire before the new owners close on the house, or they may not even be transferable.
8. Your prized possessions: the lovely birdbath on the front lawn that attracts hundreds of birds each year or the moose head affixed to your family room wall that your great grandfather hunted down 50 years ago. There’s no accounting for taste. What you may love may be one of the first things the potential buyers are planning to get rid of.
9. How many viewings you've had. Although you may think the competition may increase interest, some buyers may think, "I wonder what's wrong with this house?" or "Why hasn’t anyone bought the house yet?"
10. That you’ve bought another home. Where there is urgency, there is pressure. If a buyer senses there is pressure to sell, they will often push more when it comes to negotiating their offer.
If after following these suggestions you still feel everything you say might get you in hot water down the road perhaps it is best you make your appearance short and sweet when the real estate agent appears at your front door with potential buyers.
Be polite - say hello, welcome the viewers to your home and then let the real estate agent work their magic. Perhaps a good course of action would be to say: "Please take your time viewing my home. And if I don't see you before you leave, thank you for coming/ You'll have to excuse me, but: I have to make an important phone call/I’m in the middle of helping the kids with a school project/I’ve got dinner on the stove, etc."
Doing this not only prevents you from potentially sticking your foot in your mouth but also leaves the avoidable questions up to the professionals. Remember that it is most important for the potential buyer feel comfortable while viewing your property - after all, you want them to feel ‘at home’.
We could use your help ... Do you know anyone who’s thinking about selling? We have lots of qualified buyers but no homes for them ... If you or someone you know has thought about selling please let us know . . . You can Call / Text 805 377 0897 DAVID LEE WALKER REALTOR ® Thanks in advance…
Search ALL Ventura County Home Listings: Foreclosures, Condos, New Homes, and More.....
View Prices, Maps, Photos, Virtual Tours, with Addresses!
Just use your name, email and valid phone as your Password - then click the "Free Instant Access!" button to enter. (Use the same Password when returning. All information is keep 100 percent Confidential) Allow the next page a few seconds to load.
We hate spam too! Your information will be kept 100 percent Confidential.
David's Golden Real Estate Quote of the Day
"The joys of parents are secret, and so are their griefs and fears; they cannot utter the one, nor they will not utter the other. Children sweeten labors, but they make misfortunes more bitter; increase the cares of life, but they mitigate the remembrance of death." - Francis Bacon
All sales data is from many sources and is believed to be accurate but is not guaranteed. All Sales that are shown involved other brokerages both on the selling and listing side. Any involvement by Condohouse Realtors is clearly stated and highlighted in RED. David Lee Walker, real estate broker is qualified to advise on real estate. David Lee Walker does not offer legal advice or tax advice. If you have any questions concerning the legal sufficiency, legal effect, insurance, or tax consequences regarding any real estate or other matter, please consult with your attorney, accountant, insurance agent, tax or other appropriate qualified professional. The Sales information referenced to in this Web Site (CondoHouse.com) has been Provided by the Ventura County
MLS Corporation's MLS as of the current Date. The listings and Sales are NOT exclusive to CondoHouse Realtors and may have been Represented by other Brokers. Display of MLS Data is deemed reliable but is NOT guaranteed accurate by the MLS. The Information contained on this WebSite (www.condohouse.com) is believed to be accurate but is not guaranteed. The MLS Data and information being provided is for
the consumer’s personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any other purpose other than
to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Any link is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation nor an endorsement or guaranteed. This Information is to be used for a reference and any questions that you may have should be directed to the appropriate Real Estate Agent. If you are interested in any of the properties contained within this website, please contact the appropriate Real Estate Agent. If your property is listed with a Broker, this site is not intended as a solicitation of the listing. The property offered is subject to prior sale. David Walker, REALTOR ®, or CondoHouse Realtors nor Ventura County Coastal Association of Realtors ® or Conejo Valley Association of Realtors ® can not be held responsible for any Errors or Omissions that may have to occur upon the Publishing of this Information. More Disclaimer By submitting your Email address you are consenting for David Lee Walker REALTOR ® to contact you even if your name is a "Do not spam List". By submitting your telephone number you are consenting for David Lee Walker REALTOR ® to contact you even if the number is on
"National Do Not Call Registry".
Since January 2, 2000, 7,725,428 Pages of this website were Viewed by 2,840,486 People
Yesterday 671 Pages were Viewed by 273 Possible Buyers or Sellers So What Does that Mean to You?
Real Estate Listing Data Updated Daily
Website Last Modified on
Friday July 16, 2017 10:20 AM Day 197 of 2017 54.2 168 Days Left in this Year 45.7
Today's Sunrise 6:02 AM PDT - Sunset 8:03 PM PDT
Daylight: 14 Hours 01 Minutes 2 Minutes LESS of daylight than yesterday.
For Ventura County Real Estate Information Call CondoHouse Realtors CalBRE #: 01124599 805 377 0897
David Lee Walker REALTOR ® California Bureau of Real Estate "Responsible Broker License" CalBRE #: 01124599 Lisa D. Walker REALTOR ® California Bureau of Real Estate "Real Estate Salesperson License" CalBRE #: 01931096 The Father - Daughter Team
805 - 377 - 0897 E-mail email@example.com
This site, built, maintained and updated by David Lee Walker REALTOR ®